Friday, February 24, 2017
GOOD MORNING SHERWOOD HIGH SCHOOL….today is Friday, February 24th, and we’re on an Assembly Schedule.
• February is Black History Month, so CHAP is featuring key African-American historical figures. Today, Jesse Owens is our featured figure.
Also known as the “Buckeye Bullet,” Owens was born in Alabama. After winning many track and field events at the 1933 Interscholastic Championships and breaking three world records, he went to the 1936 Olympics in Berlin. It was well-known that Hitler, at that time, believed Germans were superior “Aryans” and African-Americans were inferior; he thought that the Berlin Olympics would be a showcase of Aryan Supremacy. While in the home of the Nazis, however, Owens won four gold medals, beating many German athletes and infuriating Hitler (who stormed out of the stadium). He was not properly recognized for his achievements until 1976.
Check out CHAP Wednesdays at 7:30 am in W30.
• FFA Fact of the Day: The greatest challenge facing agriculture is being able to feed a population that will reach 9.7 billion by 2050.
• Athletes: If you plan on participating in baseball, softball, track, tennis, golf or lacrosse this spring, it’s time to register! Register online at the high school web site, under Athletics. The deadline is today!
• The Bowmen Pageant is tomorrow at 7:00 pm in the commons. Buy your tickets now from Debi Bear. They are $8 for students and $10 for adults. Tickets will also be sold at the door. Come see who is crowned as the winner of the Bowmen Pageant!
• Bring in your spare change because SHS is having a Penny Drive! All donations go to Doernbecher Children’s Hospital with Liam’s $6 Club! Both lunches will be competing against each other, whichever lunch brings in the most money gets a prize. There will be tables during both lunches from February 27th to March 3rd to drop off your donations. Come support a good cause.
• Seniors: There is a PCC Scholarship Workshop today from 1:00 to 2:00 in the Media Center. SHS is also hosting a PCC Registration Workshop event all day Tuesday, February 28th. Sign up in the Counseling Center today!
• Key Clubbers: If you’re interested in being a Key Club Officer next year, don't forget to email Farrand by next Wednesday, March 1st, to get your name on the ballot.
• Senior Class Photo Orders are due Tuesday, March 7th. Please visit the main office to turn in your order or pick-up an order form.
• Attention Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors: A Counselor Training Session has been scheduled at Sherwood High School for students wishing to be new Outdoor School counselors this spring. The training will occur on Tuesday, February 28th, in the Media Center from 6:00 pm to 9:15 pm. This training is open to all Sherwood High students who wish to be new counselors this spring. Students may attend this training without a completed New Counselor Sign-Up Card. Please visit the Counseling Center for more information.
On Monday, February 27th, we’ll be on a Regular Schedule. Have a fun Friday, Sherwood High School!