Announcing: Getting Started at PCC!
In an effort to ensure you are ready to start at PCC in
September, Portland Community College is hosting a Getting
Started at PCC workshop for all Sherwood HS seniors! Critical
new student topics will be covered.
Getting Started at PCC to
do classes work?
Classes for my career/major, how many classes do I take, can I
transfer my credits, what is a credit?
Placement test: Can I use my high school grades, ACT/SAT scores,
much does it cost?
FAFSA, Oregon Promise, payment plans
Center or Campus Tour
Walk around and get to know resources for first term students.
When do I register? New Student Welcome Days?
Monday, May 22nd from 9-11am. We will board the bus to depart from SHS at
8:30am and return to SHS by 11:30. Plan to attend late lunch and then return to
class for 4th and 5th period that day.
To attend, sign up on the clipboard in the
counseling center by 3:30 on Monday, May 15th. You must also return
your signed permission slip and pre-arranged absence form before you will be
allowed to attend.
Financial Aid Information:
Check Naviance for opportunities to meet representatives from schools you are interested in. Register for visits via Naviance, print the registration page and bring it to your teacher for a signature. Don't forget to schedule a reminder in your calendar or phone because we won't be sending notes to remind you or release you from class.
Financial Aid video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNv7vRmczF4#action=share
Check Naviance for scholarship information.
Applications: Do you need to know where to start?!?
Make sure you have added the schools that you are applying to in Naviance (“Colleges I’m applying to”).
All transcript requests are done in Naviance: www.connection.naviance.com/sherwoodhigh
1. Go to the "College" tab
2. Click on "colleges I'm applying to”
3. Click on the link "request transcripts"
4. Click on the "FERPA" assignment found in the "tasks assigned to me" tab and complete the questions.
- FERPA stands for “Family Education Rights and Privacy Act” and when you complete this assignment you are giving SHS permission to send your transcripts/other education information to the schools you are applying to. If you are applying to a Common App school you will also have a FERPA waiver within the application to fill out.
5. Under "my applications" click on the link "have you applied?" and let us know when you have submitted your application to your colleges. Don’t wait until the last day before the deadline to submit your applications! We need time to send your transcripts after your application has been submitted.
All of these steps must be completed prior to your deadline so that we can send your transcripts in a timely manner. If you have any questions about this process or any other college application questions, please see Mrs. Wilson, Mr. Otto or Mrs. Barton for help
Letters of Recommendation:
You only need teacher/counselor letters of recommendation if you are applying to a Common App school, or another school that doesn’t use the Common Application but requires letters. Oregon Public Universities (UO, OSU, OIT, PSU, WOU, EOU, and SOU), Community Colleges, and University of California Schools do not require or accept letters of recommendation for the admissions process.
If you need letters of recommendation, follow these instructions:
1. Complete your brag sheet.
2. Ask the teachers in person (most schools require letters from core academic subjects).
3. Once the teachers agree to write your letter, go see Rebecca Barton to assign those teachers to write your letter.
4. Make sure to connect your Common Application with your Naviance account by entering your Common App email address. This can’t be done until you have completed the FERPA waiver in Common App at the end of the application (this is one of the final steps in completing your portion of the Common App).
5. Once you see that your recommenders have completed their tasks, make sure to thank them!
For a quick reference while you are filling out your apps, click here to download a PDF version of this information.If you have questions, we are here to help! Contact Mrs. Barton or your school counselor for an individual appointment at your convenience.