October 2, 2020
Dear Bowmen Community,
Happy Friday! Here is the update for this week:
Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you!
Materials Distribution and Drop Off
We continue to get questions regarding materials pick up and drop off of class materials/ class projects. Please know distribution or drop off will typically be on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:00am to 3:30pm and will be by teacher invite only. If you have any questions, please reach out to the teacher or contact our Main Office at 503-825-6000.
No School 10/8-10/9
As a reminder, there will be no school on Thursday, October 8th and Friday, October 9th for District wide professional development and inservice.
AP Fees 2020-2021
This year the fee for each AP Exam is $95. This is an increase from $69 last year for two reasons:
- Collegeboard increased the fee from $94 to $95.
- The State of Oregon subsidized all AP exams $25 last year and those funds are not available this year.
If this fee is concerning for your family there are a couple options:
- If your student is on a Free and Reduced Meal plan, the fee is automatically waived. We need to know that your student is on this plan as privacy laws do not allow sharing of that information between departments.
- Payment plans are always an option. Contact Debi Bear to set up a payment plan that will work for your family.
- There are limited funds available for those who need them. Contact Scott Hadden or Becky Farwell to be considered for this help.
This fee is due October 23rd, 2020. If the timing is an issue, please consider setting up a payment plan or contacting Scott Hadden or Becky Farwell for assistance. We truly desire that this AP fee not be an additional cause for stress in our stressful world. If you have any questions please contact Becky Farwell at firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Attendance Updates
We are utilizing our automated phone-calling system to notify families about student attendance. Moving forward, please know that the attendance phone calls will serve as a communication tool, alerting you that your student(s) did not attend the synchronous (Zoom) portion of the learning on a particular day. We are also asking that, when possible, when students are unable to attend the synchronous learning, they message their teachers through Canvas as opposed to a direct email. This will help us to better track student engagement. There is a video below explaining how to do this:
We are continually working to refine our system. Please let us know if you have any questions or how we can best communicate about attendance.
District Communication About Zoom
Dear Sherwood School District Families,
As we near the end of our second week of school, we want to thank our students and families for their feedback, partnership, and flexibility as we identify and address issues related to distance learning technology. We’ve heard from many staff and students that Zoom video connection has been a challenge — most commonly when students try to talk within Zoom, and their audio and video comes across as laggy and unintelligible. This is an issue affecting districts nationwide using Chromebooks and a variety of video services. As we’ve researched this issue, our Technology Department has discovered that the biggest impacting factors is that Chromebooks struggle to provide the processing power necessary to run video services, while services (such as Zoom) also struggle to meet with increased demand for their products.
When we first moved to a 1:1 student device distribution, as a component of our 2016 Capital Bond projects, our intention with these devices was to support the in-person learning happening in classrooms. As these devices are now one of our primary resources for students to engage in distance learning, we are working hard with Zoom and regional partners to optimize the Zoom experience as much as we can. Zoom has released an update as of September 23, and we are optimistic that this update will address these issues.
In addition, here are some ways to troubleshoot when students (or staff) are having trouble with the Zoom video/audio feed. Students should try each of these:
- Close tabs
- Close programs and tabs on the devices that aren’t necessary
- Move towards router
- Move closer to the WiFi router
- Video off
- With teacher permission, students can try turning off their video in the Zoom meeting
- Speaker view
- Have students switch to “Speaker View” instead of “Gallery View”
- Disconnect other devices from WiFi
- Disconnect cell phones, smart tvs, streaming devices, personal tablets, etc. from your home WiFi during distance learning (anything that may be using WiFi in the background)
- Update Chrome
- Chromebook – have student check for Chromebook updates
- Restart computer
Our other modes of collaboration and engagement:
- We’ve also heard from teachers and students who are finding new ways to engage and collaborate outside of zoom using Seesaw, Canvas discussions, shared Google Apps for Education tools, Jamboards, Padlets, and more. As we work to optimize the video portion of our distance learning, those tools will remain a valuable piece of the digital learning experience.
Thank you for stepping bravely out into this new model of school with us, and for your patience as we continue to work to improve everyone’s experience with our technology resources. For continued technical support, please reach out to our Technology Department at email@example.com or 503-825-5050.
2020 Sherwood High School Booster Club Auction – 11/7
The Sherwood High School Booster Club would like to invite you to join us for our annual auction. Over the last 19 years we have been able to provide over $500,000 for SHS Athletic teams. Since we cannot meet in person this year it will be held virtually. Online auction items will be available November 1st. The live stream event will start November 7th with a preshow at 6:45pm and auction starting at 7:00pm. Please RSVP for more information at sherwoodboosterclub.com.
Parent Support Organization
NEW Name: SHS Parent Support Organization (PSO)
Social Media (links below or search @sherwoodhspso)
President – Nicole Brutosky
Vice President – Cynthia Allen
Secretary – Megan Kundert
Treasurer – Paula Brown
Volunteer Coordinator – Chrissie McLaughlin
Co-Hospitality Coordinators – Jamie Fillinger & Christina Hein
Seniors – Grad Night 2021
Help Wanted! We are looking for help in several areas. Please reach out for more information on any of these positions:
Bottle Drop Coordinator
Corporate Sponsorship Coordinator
Prize Room Coordinator
If you need blue bags for bottles and cans or have full bags to pick up – contact us and we’ll send someone out!
Juniors – Grad Night 2022