Attendance Line – 503-825-6010
Note to Families:
We are utilizing our automated phone-calling system to notify families about student attendance. Moving forward, please know that the attendance phone calls will serve as a communication tool, alerting you that your student(s) did not attend the synchronous (Zoom) portion of the learning on a particular day. We are also asking that, when possible, when students are unable to attend the synchronous learning, they message their teachers through Canvas as opposed to a direct email. This will help us to better track student engagement. There is a video below explaining how to do this:
We are continually working to refine our system. Please let us know if you have any questions or how we can best communicate about attendance.
Attendance & Tardy Information
Attendance for Hybrid Model and Comprehensive Distance Learning shall use the same guidelines.
- Students who interact with staff in a manner that involves two-way communication shall be counted as present for the class period at secondary or for the entire day at the elementary level
Interaction can be evidenced by any of the following or reasonable equivalents:
- Participating in a video class
- Communication from the student to the teacher or instructional assistant via chat, text message or email
- A phone call with the student, or, for younger students, with the parent
- Posting completed coursework to a learning management system or web-based platform or via email
- Turning in completed coursework on a given day
When there is no evidence of student interaction during a 24-hour period surrounding a scheduled school day as described, students are reported as absent.
Attendance and Enrollment Definition of an Excused Absence
As Defined by Sherwood High School
Oregon Revised Statute 339.065 (2)* states: “An absence may be excused by a principal or teacher if the absence is caused by the student’s sickness, by the sickness of some member of the student’s family, or by an emergency. A principal or teacher may also excuse absences for other reasons where satisfactory arrangements are made in advance of the absence.”
- Illness of the student* (*a doctor’s note may be required for absences more than 3 consecutive days)
- Illness of an immediate family member when the student’s presence at home is necessary (documentation may be required if student misses more than 3 consecutive days)
- Emergency situations that require the student’s absence (documentation may be required if a student misses more than 3 consecutive days)
- Field trips and school-approved activities
- All appointments, including medical and dental appointments. A Confirmation Note of appointment is required for all students, including student’s 18 years of age and over.
- Other reasons deemed appropriate by the school administrator when satisfactory arrangements have been made in advance of the absence (see Pre-arranged Absences.)
When possible, counseling and home teaching will be provided for students with prolonged disabilities.
Excuse Your Child for a Full Day Absence
- Please call 503-825-6010 to report absences, preferably in the morning of the day the student is absent and must be excused within *48 hours of the absence.
- You may also email the attendance secretary at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please include a phone number in which you can be reached so we can verify if needed.
When returning to school from an absence, if the parent forgot to report the absence by phone, you may send a note with your student. *Within 48 hours.
Please see below on 48 hour policy. With automated calls and emails being sent out we feel this gives you ample time to excuse your student’s absence.
Please include all the information below. Required information on the note or in the phone message includes:
1. Name of student
2. Parent/Guardian Name
3. Date of absence
4. Reason for absence
5. Phone number where Parent/Guardian can be reached
Picking up Students During School
If you need to pick up your student during school hours, it would be greatly appreciated if you can notify the attendance office in advance. You may do this by:
1. Sending your student with a signed note from the parent/guardian and have the student exchange it for a “release from class” pass at the attendance office, before school or during a passing time OR
2. You can call the attendance office at: 503-825-6010 in advance and a note will be sent to release your student at the time requested.
We realize that unforeseen circumstances may arise and you may need your student right away. We will do our best to accommodate this, however, it may or may not be done in a timely manner.
48 Hour Policy
All absences must be excused within 48 hours. The 48 hour window begins at 8:00 a.m. on the day of the student’s absence and ends at 8:00 a.m. 48 hours later. Any absence not excused within that 48 hour window will be considered unexcused. No exceptions.
Absences will be excused for legitimate family matters if they are pre arranged by a parent note. Some examples of pre-arranged absences are:
1. Funerals and marriages.
2. Family holidays (not to exceed 10 school days).
3. Court appearances.
4. College visitations.
A note or telephone message must be received in the attendance office prior to the anticipated absence with all pertinent information. Any anticipated absence from school that will be more than one day must be pre-arranged. Students will pick up a pre-arranged absence form from the attendance office to take to their teachers and counselors. Upon completion, the form must be returned to the attendance office at least one day prior to the absence. Any student who does not pre-arrange these anticipated absences will have the days counted as unexcused.
Absences and Academic Work
Students may complete all work assigned or turned in during an excused absence. Teachers will make reasonable arrangements regarding when make-up work for excused absences is due. A student has no right to earn credit for in class work during an unexcused absence.
Please check teacher’s websites or email the teacher directly to request homework.
Students with prolonged absences may request homework from teachers for the period of the absence. Please contact the Attendance Office (503-825-5510) at least two school days before the assignments are to be picked up.
Arriving Late to School
Oversleeping, missing the bus, and car problems are not excused. Arriving late may be excused only for illness, an appointment (accompanied by a doctor’s note) or for family obligations if requested 2 days prior to the late arrival. We can no longer excuse tardies for any other reason than the above mentioned. No phone calls or notes will be taken. A student who arrives late within 20 minutes of school starting will be sent DIRECTLY TO CLASS. If they arrive later than 20 minutes, the student must check in at attendance and get an admit slip to class.
Leaving Early from School
Students who become ill or injured during the day or for some other reason need to leave school must come to the attendance office so those parents can be notified. Students who leave without the authorization of the attendance office will be considered as having cut class and will be subject to disciplinary action. Please be mindful of texting your students during class times. Teachers often times will not allow students to leave during class unless they have an official pass from the attendance office. It is much appreciated if students can WAIT until a passing time to leave campus…although we realize that often times it can’t be helped. Please remind students to sign in and out at the attendance window.